Scion-Framework is a complete open-source framework designed to optimize the development of web applications by way of several key features. For starters, it separates a web application in parts using MVC design pattern with a 100% object-oriented code.
It contains numerous tools and classes aimed at shortening the development time of a complex web application. The end result of these advantages means there is no need to reinvent the wheel every time a new web application is built!
Scion-Framework is written entirely in PHP and compatible with PHP 5.5. It is compatible with more than 10 relational database management system including MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, and more. It runs on Unix and Windows platforms.
Scion-Framework was built in order to fulfill the following requirements:
- Easy to install and configure on most platforms (and guaranteed to work on standard Unix and Windows platforms),
- Compatible with all PDO DBMS,
- Simple to use, in most cases, but still flexible enough to adapt to complex cases,
- Compliant with most web best practices and design patterns,
- Very readable code, with comments, for easy maintenance,
- Including the last features of the latest PHP version,
- Include a Wizard to create easily a new project.
To know more about Scion-Framework, you can go to the official documentation here, still in writing.
Why using Scion-Framework?
PHP is a very easy to use programming language, that's the reason why it's loved by the web development community. It's easy to use nature and learning curve has attracted a lot of users. But PHP has one downside. Most experienced developers don't love coding PHP due to its little object orientation, and its often nasty codes. With Scion-Framework, any PHP developer from beginner to expert will all get to write standard codes which we see in the Java or the .NET worlds.
So the major reason why you should use Scion-Framework for your PHP work is to ensure that your codes are of standards, and you follow the best practices which go a long way to help teams of developers from beginners to experts to easily work together with the PHP programming language.
Scion-Framework solves the problem of beginners, and intermediate developers who have nasty codes and are killing the overall work of the team. With the well documented and standard practices of Scion, a developer in France can write the code and a developer in Australia can optimize the code without asking a lot of questions, because everything will clearly be a model, view or a controller, and it will be easy to understand what it was meant for exactly.
Key features of Scion-Framework
Scion-Framework has some very good latest PHP features that makes it stand out from all other PHP frameworks. The features include:
- Fully Object Oriented: Object oriented programming is an industry standard since the introduction of C++. Many developers working with Java programming languages are comfortable with Object and classes, and they prefer the order it brings to programming. Scion-Framework being fully Object oriented, it automatically brings this order and industry standard programming to PHP witch is really helpful.
- MVC: this framework is engineering with the well-known software design pattern Model View Controller (MVC). The Model View Controller software design pattern guides engineers to design their software codes into three separate parts which includes:
- Models: The objects that manipulate data sources and data stores,
- Views: The HTML and CSS files with inline PHP codes that present the user interface and controls to the application users,
- Controllers: Objects in charge of the business logic, displaying the page (views), and routing the click actions from the views to the model and back to the views.
- In built templating: Scion-Framework like most other standard web frameworks has a very easy to use template engine. Like Symfony, Scion embedded is own template engine for greater ease of use and compatibility. The new version of Dwoo, the Smarty compatibility template engine is embedded.
- Robust RDBMS: RDBMS stands for Relational DataBase Management System. Using PDO to connect to the database drivers, Scion-Framework include a powerful DBMS witch is compatible with almost everyone database drivers such as PDO.
- Powerful routing system: Scion-Framework provide a json-based routing system config file because it's easy to edit a json file and it's faster to load a json file than an ini or a yaml. This routing system include powerful features likes: regex, methods, output format and wildcard. All features are available here.
- Traits inheritance: A new feature introduced in PHP 5.4 to overcome such issues, traits is a mechanism for code reuse in single inheritance languages such as PHP. A Trait is intended to reduce some limitations of single inheritance by enabling a developer to reuse sets of methods freely in several independent classes living in different class hierarchies. Traits are used in Scion-Framework inside the MVC pattern.
- Namespaces: since PHP 5.3, namespaces are used in all most popular PHP frameworks. Namespaces remove the need for long, PEAR-style class names (e.g. Middleware_ContentTypes) while still avoiding class name collisions with other libraries.
Scion-Framework is licensed under GNU Lesser GPL v3 and is free to use in Open Source and closed commercial projects.